Paving bricks are stone materials that are used to construct patios, driveways, and walkways. They differ from bricks used for walls and chimneys.
They are more durable and are can withstand weather changes and foot traffic. Although these pavers come in natural colors, they may start to fade due to weather conditions like the sun and dirt over time.
Proper care and maintenance are required to rejuvenate paving bricks and restore their visual appeal. There are also painting paving brick ideas that help to add an extra protective layer.
The added coating makes it easier to clean the paving bricks. Besides, there are other alternatives to painting that will also benefit your paving bricks.
Can Paving Bricks Be Painted?
Paving bricks can be painted with paving paint when they fade. The pavers on your driveway or walkway will be stained and lose their natural color due to foot traffic and rainwater.
To rejuvenate them, they can be painted. In other instances, the pavers are painted because the owner doesn’t like the bricks' neutral color and wants to give them a personal touch.
The paving paint used is available in a variety of colors and is specifically designed for stone surfaces, and able to withstand traffic and other elements.
To make the painting on your paving bricks even more durable, add a primer and a sealer.
Note: painted bricks should be painted every few years.
What Type Of Paving Bricks Can Be Painted?
The best paving bricks candidates for painting are faded bricks.
There are also instances where you move into a new home, and the paving bricks are an eyesore. In such a case, the bricks can also be painted. You can do this so that they match the style of your home.
The quality of the paving bricks should also determine if they can be painted or not.
Bricks that have deteriorated or have an overall poor condition are should not be painted. This is because the paint will cause structural damage by blocking the natural pores on their surfaces.
Over time, the damages worsen, and the paving bricks will need replacing.
What Type Of Paint Can You Use For Paving Bricks?
There are specific types of paving paint used to paint paving bricks.
The paint used should be durable, able to withstand weather elements and traffic. In addition, it should also protect the bricks' surfaces.
There are specific masonry paint products like a conditioner and a primer that work well with paving bricks.
Why Should You Paint Your Paving Bricks?
Paving bricks are designed to last long and come in numerous natural colors.
You should only paint your paving bricks if you do not like the original color or if the bricks are faded and look grim, ruining the overall look of your home.
There are other rare instances where you have an old brick that needs painting to protect it. You should paint the old brick only if it’s not damaged and has traces of faded paint.
How To Tell If Your Paving Bricks Need Painting?
To determine if your paving bricks need painting, check if your driveway or walkway has become faded or stained.
If so, then the paving bricks will need revamping. Some people also decide to paint them if they are not satisfied with their original look and want something different.
What Is The Process Of Painting Brick Paving?
Before painting paving bricks, the pathway or walkway needs to be prepare so that painting is made easy and effective.
1. Gather your materials, including goggles, safety gloves, a mask, turpentine, roller, broom or vacuum, paintbrush, containers, and paint.
2. Start by cleaning the surface. Sweep it to remove grit, dirt, or dust. You can also use a vacuum. Sealing dirt or grit under the paint compromises its efficiency as a protective coating. Ensure paving bricks are completely dry when cleaning. If you decide to remove the dirt with water from a hosepipe, ensure the surface dries completely before you start painting. It is recommended to do the paint job on a sunny day; therefore, proper planning is essential.
TIP: Don’t use acidic cleaning solutions. Use simple detergent and soap with water to clean.
3. Get a container and mix your paint with turpentine for the first coat only. Do not mix with subsequent coats of paint. Also, subsequent paint coats should be kept in a different container and not the one used to mix the first coat and turpentine. For the first coat, only mix 1 part of turpentine with 4 parts of the paint. The turpentine helps the paint to adhere to the paving brick's surface much better. Allow the first coat time, it could be hours or even a day, to completely dry before adding another on.
TIP: Handle turpentine with care because it is hazardous to human health and it’s flammable. Safety precautions like wearing a mask, gloves, and goggles should be taken.
4. Once the initial layer of paint has dried, you can apply another layer of pure paint. Do not mix it with anything. Aim to apply two to three coats on top of the base layer allowing each layer to completely dry before applying the next one.
5. Finally, protect your paving bricks from traffic, debris, and other damaging elements while it dries. Actually, this should be done at all stages when the coating is given time to dry.
TIP: You can use a primer in place of the turpentine.
How To Clean And Maintain Your Painted Paving?
After giving your paving bricks the desired look or revamping them, the next important thing is cleaning and maintain them. You want to preserve the color and new look that your bricks have.
1. Sweep off or vacuum dirt, grit, and debris.
2. You can also use kitchen cleaning solutions or soap with water to clean. For stubborn membranes of dust and stains over the surface, consider pressure washing.
3. Consider a sealer to enhance the color. The sealer also adds a protective layer to your pavers, protecting them from fading and stains. It also reduces the likelihood of cracking and chipping.
4. Fix cracked, chipped, and damaged paving bricks by replacing them with new ones.
When And How Often Should You Repaint Your Paving?
Depending on the traffic and other damaging elements, you should repaint your paving bricks every 2-3 years. The bricks should be painting when the weather is warm. Sunny days are the best.
Who Should Paint Your Paving Bricks?
You can choose to paint your pavers yourself or get a professional to assist.
Doing it yourself will require time and dedication. A professional will paint and also inspect for any issues that your paving bricks might have.
In addition, they will advise on areas that may need repairs and replacements, if any.
Other Alternatives To Revamping Your Paving
If you are not for the idea of painting bricks, there are other alternatives to consider and get the same results.
Similar to painting, staining changes the color of paving bricks. The application process is the same, except for how each procedure works. Unlike paint that coats the surface of bricks, staining penetrates them. The penetration gives paving bricks a more natural look than painting, and it doesn’t peel off. It is also easier to apply.
Another alternative to revamping your paver is using a sealer. Tinted sealers can be used to change the color of paving bricks and also help maintain them.
Lay New Pavers
You can install new pavers to replace old pavers or unwanted bricks. Choose the desired color and change your patio’s look.
Painting Paving Bricks Pros & Cons
1. Painting paving bricks blend with and improves the aesthetic appeal of your surroundings.
2. The painting also helps to improve their durability.
1. There are instances where paint interferes with the structural integrity of paving bricks. This happens to slightly chipped or damaged bricks.
2. Paint also creates layers that prevent moisture from escaping, therefore damaging it.
3. Over time, peeling layers of paint ruin the visual appeal of paving bricks.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best paint for painting paving slabs?
The best paint to use is acrylic outdoor paint that is easy to apply. Masonry paint is also a good choice.
Is it OK to pressure wash pavers?
Yes. You can pressure wash paver to remove stubborn dirt, grits, and stains.
How do I keep my paving from fading?
Over time, it is not possible to keep your paving bricks from fading. Traffic, rain, and the sun will discolor them. However, you can reduce the fading process by applying a sealer.
Do you have to prime bricks before painting?
It is important to use a primer to penetrate the bricks’ porous surfaces and bind any loose materials. This enables the paint to adhere properly to the surface of the paving bricks.
Paving bricks are attractive and durable. They add overall value to your home and present a unique visual appeal.
Painting them adds to these attributes, especially for old pavers.
With proper maintenance and care, your paving bricks will offer even more.